Monday, August 30, 2010

How far would you go to have an affair with your boss?

So, Derek and I were talking the other day (Friday? -My head was pretty stuffy.) We were dancing around what had gone before, the flirting, discussion of what I was ~or wasn't~ wearing on a particular day. I had mentioned my 'happily married' state, and his own in a relationship status.

He had more or less implied that as a guy he thinks about other women, and seemed of the opinion that given the opportunity, any guy would jump at the chance to jump somebody. I had to concur on reflection and admitted candidly that women aren't much different. Their reasons for cheating are maybe different at times, but they are quite likely to take the opportunities presented if they at least ~seem~ to be consequence-free.

A said something to the effect that it's lucky for us that we have such a clearly defined company policy about fraternization to keep us on the straight and narrow. He correctly pointed out that that applies more to me than to him as I am in the position of powere. He didn;t put it in those terms but that was the jist of it and he's right. I kidded him about how he is already in a poosition to blackmail me into a sordid accomdation of his baser instincts. He very ernestly stated that he would never do anything that would get me in trouble. This wasn't suggested in a way that implied, "You can trust me, lets have an affair.." but rather more an acknowlegement that we had already crossed some lines and that he had enjoyed it for its own sake and felt my equal in those things, and well he was more mature about it than I would have given credit for someone his age. Raging hormones and all that.

He has from time to time bid on internal positions that have come up that interest him and better utilize some of his education. I used to joke about how he was trying to get away from my oppressive management style. He understands that I get a little say in these job shifts, and can influence keeping an employee a bit in a way that doesn;t harm them by stating their value in their current position. I usually don't though prefering to let people's carrers bloom in the ways they want to.

He has one of those in the works at them moment that would move him up into an exempt position that pays less than he makes now with occasional bits of overtime that accrue from resolving scheduling and staffing needs. I was encouraging as always...he said "Finger's crossed...this job would make hitting on you slightly less inappropriate!" Interesting that he sees it that way. I see it as me teasing a younger subordinate, and he sees it as a prelude to an affair with an equal. Hmmm

So would you quit your job, or take a different position if it meant clearing the decks for a sexy affair with your boss?  Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment